The Ultimate Fighting Championship is at the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota, for a 12-fight MMA card, UFC on ESPN 4. The headliner is a Heavyweight collision, former champion number 3 ranked contender, Junior “Cigano” dos Santos squares off against former title challenger number 2 ranked Francis N’Gannou.
The night began the way it will end with a Heavyweight collision. Maurice Greene knocked down Junior Albini three times. The third a right hand to the temple saw the fight finished by follow up hammer-fists. Greene is now 3-0 inside the octagon.
Amanda Ribas made a successful debut, dragging Emily Whitmire to the ground, opening up the back take with some strikes from mount securing the second round rear naked choke win.
Dalcha Lungiambula made a huge first impression knocking down Dequan Townsend with a left hook right right cross combination. Lungiambula followed to the ground advancing to mount brutalizing Townsend with elbows for the TKO win.
Jared Gordon relied on his grappling and embraced the grind to defeat Dan Moret by unanimous decision, ending a 2-fight skid.
Eryk Anders ended a 3-fight losing streak with a vicious first round knockout of Vinicius Moreira. Trapping Moreira against the cage Anders landed three clean hooks to score the knockdown swarming and finishing the fight with rapid fire left hands on the ground.
The prelims closed out with Bantamweight action, Ricardo Ramos is now 4-1 in the UFC handing Journey Newson a unanimous decision loss in his promotional debut. Ramos used all eight limbs including scoring a pair of knockdowns with spinning back elbows. Ramos also displayed his competency on the ground getting to mount, hunting the rear naked choke, and escaping Newson’s guillotine choke attempt in the third round.
The main card kick off with undefeated Alzono Menifield devastating Paul Craig with thunderous right hands on the ground to record his 7th knockout victory and 6th first round finish.
Polo Reyes and Dew Dober wasted no time immediately exchanging leather. Dober displayed a decisive power advantage hurting Reyes with hooks from both side. The knockdown would come off a left hook and follow up punches would see the ref jump in.
Vinc Pichel handed Roosevelt Roberts his first pro loss by unanimous decision. Pichel rebounded from losing the first round to out grapple Roberts in the 2nd & 3rd rounds, threatening with several deep submission attempts.
Demian Maia made it back to back wins ending Anthony Rooco Martins 4-fight win steak after a 15-minute encounter. Maia put Martin on his back controlling the first two round in vintage Maia fashion. Martin landed the harder shot and stuffed the Maia take-downs in the third round.
In the second round of the co-main event Joseph Benavidez caught Jussier Formiga with a left head kick followed up by a right hook on the ear forcing the Brazilian to back up, the Las Cruces, NM native swarmed with a flurry of hooks dropping Formiga to the mat. Two more punches on the ground and the ref jumped in to waive off the fight.
The main event as promised delivered a quick finish. Junior dos Santos over committed on a right hand leaving himself off balance. Ngannou took advantage knocking “Cigano” down with a right hand finshing the fight with follow up punches on the ground. The win gives the Cameroon native a 3 fight win streak and presumably makes him the number one contender.
- 265: Francis N’Gannou (14-3) def. Junior dos Santos (21-6) by TKO (punches) 1:11 R1
- 125: Joseph Benavidez (28-5) def. Jussier Formiga (23-6) by TKO (head kick & punches) 4:427 R2
- 170: Demian Maia (27-9) def. Anthony Rocco Martin (16-5) by (29-28 x3) unanimous decision
- 155: Vinc Pichel (12-2) def. Roosevelt Roberts (8-1) by (29-28 x3) unanimous decision
- 155: Drew Dober (21-9) def. Polo Reyes (8-6) by KO (punches) 1:07 R1
- 205: Alonzo Menifield (9-0) def. Paul Craig (11-4) by KO (ground & pound) 3:19 R1
- 135: Ricardo Ramos (13-2) def. Journey Newson (9-2) by (30-27 x3) unanimous decision
- 205: Eryk Anders (11-4) def. Vinicius Moreira (9-2) by KO (punches + ground & pound from half guard) 1:18 R1
- 155: Jared Gordon (15-3) def. Dan Moret (13-6) by (29-28, 30-27 x2) unanimous decision
- 205: Dalcha Lungiambula (10-1) def. Dequan Townsend (21-9) by TKO (punches + elbows from mount) o:42 R3
- 115: Amanda Ribas (7-1) def. Emily Whitmire (4-3) by submission (rear naked choke) 2:10 R2
- 265: Maurice Greene (8-2) def. Junior Albini (14-6) by TKO (punches) 3:38 R1