The Marriott Pyramid North in Albuquerque, NM hosts Holmes Boxing, Cold War 5. A six-fight card headlined by Roberto Duran Jr. versus El Paseo’s David Vargas.
Mario Gonzales got the night going quickly. A big over hand right scored an early knockdown for Gonzales and he kept the assault coming. A delayed reaction from a big right hand to the body saw Hall cover up and the ref jump to in giving Gonzales the first round TKO victory.
Estevan Segura cracked Armando Cornejo with a right hand scoring a knockdown early. After attacking high for the first two rounds Segura found ultimate success to the body hurting Cornejo with a left hook. Smelling blood the Santa Fe Lights Out boxer cornered Cornejo overwhelming with hooks untold the ref jumped in.
The most intense face off at the weigh-ins was Desmond Hill & Bryant McClain. The fight deliver on the expectations are the day before. For four rounds the two fighters exchanged big shots. Hill landing crushing hooks, while McCalin speared away with his jab, mixing in uppercuts on the inside. It was hill controlling the geography of where the fight was taking place. In the end the a highly contested bout comes back with the decision in favor of The still unbeaten Desmond Hill.
In a back an forth contest Andres Quintana and Angel Villanueva went all four rounds with the judges returning a draw. Early on Villanueva drew blood from Quintana with his jab. Quintana found his footing in the second pressing behind his jab. Villanueva found his jab again in the third. In the forth Quintana again picked up the pace. In the end an even bout worthy of a draw.
In the co-main event Indeya Smith came out like a ball of fire. Smith relentlessly bombing away with power punches and quickly scoring three knockdowns. Scoring the first round victory.
In dominate fashion Roberto Duran Jr. quickly close the distance connecting with a missals for a left hand to Vargas’s chin. Varsas drop through the ropes and the fight is waived off right away.
- 4Rds 140lbs.: Roberto Duran Jr. (5-1) def. David Vargas (0-1) by KO 0:35 R1
- 4Rds 112lbs.: Indeya Smith (1-0) def. Leanna Martinez (4-3) by TKO 1:03 R1
- 4Rds 147lbs.: Andres Quintana (0-1-1) vs. Angel Villanueva (0-0-1) is scored (39-37, 37-39, 38-38) a draw
- 4Rds 170lbs.: Desmond Hill (6-0) def. Bryant McClain (5-3-3) by (39-37, 38-38, 39-37) majority decision
- 4Rds 128 lbs.: Estevan Segura (1-0) def. Armando Cornejo (0-1) by TKO 2:27 R3
- 4Rds 160lbs.: Mario Gonzales (2-0) def. Shane Hall (0-1) by TKO 1:14 R1