Hartman Arena in Park City, Kansas hosts the first Legacy Fighting Alliance event of 2021. LFA 97 is a nine-fight card headlined by “Nyquil” Nick Browne battling Brazil’s Arthur Estrazulas for the vacant LFA lightweight championship.
The event started with a pair of prelims that streamed on Facebook. Shane Shapiro made good on his pro debut quickly taking down Cam Ansel locking up a kimura for the finish. Claire Guthrie outworked Nadine Madiau for the decision on the strength of her takedowns for a decision win.
Heavyweights started off the main card and in only 19 seconds Thomas Petersen with one straight left knocked out Kimo Luis. Joe Boerschig versus Josh Quinlan was a kickboxing match for the first two rounds. Quinlan edging out both rounds with his more impactful strikes. In the third Boerschig got the fight to the ground. Quinlann revsered the position and pound his way to the finish. After closing out the first round in top position landing strikes. Michael Stack took Jordan Mapa right back to the mat got his back flattened and pounded out the win. The power punching of Loveth Young broke down Kelly D’Angelo with straight rights to the body, before a flurry of hooks to the head seal the deal in the second round. Weathering an early storm from Gilherme Santos, Kauela Kirk landed a stright right. A body shot put Santos on the ground where Kirk finds the TKO.
In the co-main event Jacob Rosales put on quite the show getting back in the win column. Rosales had several deep choke attempts on Jose Martinez in the first round. In the second round Rosales was dominate with his ground & pound but an illegal knee is what lead to getting the dominate position. Not giving up Martinez fought back to take two of the judges cards in the final round, but the night was Rosales’s.
The main event will be remembered for being an absolute battle of wills. Nick Browne put the pressure on Arthur Estrazluas right away peppering away with punches as Estrazulas hammered home leg kicks. Round two saw Estrazulas score a knockdown off a left hook. Browne dug deep regrouped and leaned on his wrestling to grind out the final three rounds. And take claim of the vacant championship.
Fight Line Up
- Vacant Lightweight Title Bout: (now champ) Nick Browne (11-1) def. Arthur Estrazulas (12-5) by (48-46, 49-46 x2) unanimous decision
- Lightweight Bout: Jacob Rosales (13-6) def. Jose Martinez (11-5) by (30-25, 29-27 x2) unanimous decision
- Featherweight Bout: Kamuela Kirk (10-4) def. Gilherme Santos (8-4) by TKO (punches) 4:25 R1
- Women’s Strawweight Bout: Loveth Young (3-1-1) def. Kelly D’Angelo (4-4) by TKO (punches) 1:36 R2
- Featherweight Bout: Michael Stack (5-1) def. Jordan Mapa (3-3) by TKO (ground & pound from back mount) 4:00 R2
- Weltereweight Bout: Josh Quinlan (4-0) def. Joe Boerschig (6-4) by TKO (ground & pound) 3:28 R3
- Heavyweight Bout: Thomas Petersen (3-0) def. Kimo Luis (2-3) by KO (stright left) 0:19 R1
- Women’s Flyweight Bout: Claire Guthrie (2-1) def. Nadine Madiau (1-1) by unaimous decision
- Lightweight Bout: Shane Shapiro (1-0) def. Cam Ansel (0-2) by submission (kimura) R1