The UFC Apex in Las Vegas, Nevada hosts week six of the 2020 season of Dana White’s Contender Series taking place on ESPN+.
This week ten more competitors do battle on ESPN+, in hopes of impressing Dana White enough to earn a UFC contract.
The card is headlined by unbeaten, Tafon Nchukwi, who has all his wins by knockout, against Al Matavao, who has three of his last four wins by knockout. The c-main event has unbeaten fighters with identical records as Carmeron Church versus Sherrard Blackledge. On a three-fight win streak, Phil Hawes faces Khadzhimurat Bestaev, who’s last five wins are finishes. In bantamweight action Mana Martinez bring a five-fight win streak into facing Drako Rodriguez, who has finishes in five of his six victories. The curtain jerker has unbeaten Russian, Aliaskhab Khizriev squaring off with Japan’s Henrique Shiguemoto, who’s on a eight-fight win streak. Slick counter hooks and take-downs in all three rounds saw Sherrad Blackledge beat Cameron Church by unanimous decision.
Aliaskhab Khizriev took Henrique Shiguemoto right to the mate. Shiguemoto gave his back attempting to stand, Khizriev sank in the rear naked choke for the finish. Drako Rodriguez caught a Mana Martinez kick. On the ground Martinez throws up an ambar transitions to an omaplata. Rodriguez rolls through catching Martinez in a triangle choke forcing the tap. Phil Hawes started off with chopping leg kicks. A big overhand right put Khadzhimurat Bestaev on the ground and a few follow up shot sealed the deal. Tafon Nchukwi moved forward and put pressure on Al Matavao from the get go winging huge power shots. Matavao kept exiting by ducking his head and circling away to his right. In the second round Nchukwi met Matavao’s exit with a left high kick, ending the fight.
This week Dana gave contracts to Aliaskhab Khizriev, Drako Rodriguez, Phillip Hawes, & Tafpn Nchukwi. Sherrard Blacklegde has been offered a second fight on the Contender Series in November.
- Light-heavyweight Bout: Tafon Nchukwi (4-0) def. Al Matavao (8-3) by KO (head kick) 2:01 R2
- Lightweight Bout: Sherrard Blackledge (5-0) def. Cameron Church (4-1) by (29-28, 30-27 x2) unanimous decision
- Middleweight Bout: Phillip Hawes (8-2) def. Khadzhimurat Bestaev (10-4) by TKO (punches) 1:18 R1
- Bantamweight Bout: Drako Rodriguez (7-1) def. Mana Martinez (6-2) by submission (triangle choke) 2:22 R1
- Middleweight Bout: Aliaskhab Khizriev (13-0) def. Henrique Shiguemoto (13-4-1) by submission (rear naked choke) 0:50 R1